Movie Night #5
Speaking of Firefly,
- What's this about? The poster kinda sucks. This screening will be a little different. I'm going to show you guys the first episode of the show first, then the movie. Straight from the back of the DVD - Five hundred years in the future there's a whole new frontier, and the crew of the Firefly-class spaceship Serenity is eager to stake a claim on the action. They'll take any job, legal or illegal, to keep fuel in the tanks and food on the table. But things get a bit more complicated after they take on a passenger wanted by the new totalitarian regime. Now they find themselves on the run, desperate to steer clear of Alliance ships and the flesh-eating Reavers who live on the fringes of space.
- So I wouldn't understand the movie if I don't see the show? Not exactly, but you'll be more familiar with the setting and the characters, thus enriching your experience with the movie.
- Wouldn't that be really long? About 3 hours total. It's like watching Titanic, except less brokeback.
- I'm not into sci-fi. I think I'll pass. Give it a chance. I didn't expect much from the show either, but I was hooked after the first episode.
- What's so great about it? It's all about the characters. Mal (the captain) is more Han Solo than Han Solo. Jane (the muscle) steals every scene he's (yes, it's a guy) in. Those two guys alone are worth watching the show for. Then there's River... okay she's a bit annoying but she kinda redeems herself in the movie. Think Wolverine, without claws and a penis.
- Did you just say... Moving on.
- Snacks? Yes Johny, there will be cheese sticks courtesy of the Wench. I think.
- When does it start? This Saturday at 7:00pm. We're starting a little bit earlier than usual so all you latecomers better shape up.